Friday, July 6, 2012

Make Reading a Hands-on Experience


       Make reading a hands-on activity. This pass year I used crafts and projects to make reading hands-on to keep my students engaged in reading. I did the “Book in a Box” project with my students and they really enjoyed it. The parents got involved also.  The students were asked to bring a shoebox (I brought a few from home too). Each student had 1 shoebox, 3 index cards to summarize the story on and a rubric. The student had to include 8 objects to represent the story. That made the students focus on the details of the story. I have found many rubrics for the “Book in the Box” project on the Internet. 

       The presentation of book in the box will be 1 activity the students can complete to work towards mastery of Common Core State Standard SL.2.4. Tell a story or recount an experience with appropriate facts and relevant, descriptive details, speaking audibly in coherent sentences. Here are a few of the awesome projects my students turned in.







4 comments:

Mrs. Shepherd said...

Love how you lesson was product focused. Your student work looks great! Thanks for stopping by my blog and becoming a follower. I am now your newest follower.

Lisa R. said...

I love the book in the box idea!! They did a fantastic job on those! I bet they had a lot of fun completing them also. Love it!
Lisa
Learning Is Something to Treasure

Jennifer K. said...

Wow those projects are fabulous! Those are the kidns of activities that students will remember for years!

Jennifer @ Herding Kats In Kindergarten

Fun Games 4 Learning said...

What a great idea! Am so glad that I found your blog and am looking forward to more posts and more great ideas :) I am giving you the One Lovely Blog Award. Come by and see.
Teresa

Post a Comment